Monday, February 13, 2023

Post #5

 The last of us is not just a tv series


So far, we have gone far away from Ecuador. But what if there is such a curious language nearby? 

Let's talk about Taushiro, a language that only one person is known to speak fluently. In Peru, near the border of Ecuador on the banks of the Aucayacu River. There is a community with the same name that has disappeared. Records have been left by missionaries who arrived in the area. Which mentions that around 3,000 people used the language many years ago. 

Now, due to the mixture of languages, and the cholera epidemic.  The people of this community began to die and to find it necessary to stop being monolingual. The people who spoke the original language of this community were reduced over the years until only Amadeo García García remained. He still identifies himself as Taushiro, belonging to the community and using the language.

Don Amadeo lucidly recounts many details in different studies of how his community gradually disappeared.

In fact, one of these writings identifies him as a co-translator and corrector of the research materials. Amadeo still preserves his customs, he dedicates himself to the weaving of the leaves, then sells the product.


Everyone in the village knows his skill and orders large quantities from him. He goes into the forest for several days until he collects the requested amount; he also lives from the sale of some of the products he collects, such as the fish he catches, etc.

What do you think about this story? I think it is a little sad, I feel that he was left living alone in the past, not even his children remember his language or his customs. It reminds me of the Pirahã who on the contrary decided to live only in the present.  

Why choose if we can have both? To move forward and learn from the advanced.

2 comments:

  1. I love everything that you wrote about this language. I think you must be a writer.you have been investigating a lot to get the information about this guy. You are rocking girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post #8

  Words that are difficult to use Today, I've decided that we're going to talk about Goodbyes. I can start writing how the word is...