Worldwide Linguistic diversity
This week we will talk about the number of languages that exist around the world, we won't talk about it statistically, let's reflect on it a little. Do you know how much linguistic diversity, we can find, if we just look for it? This is extremely absurd! We live in a capitalist bubble where we are only interested in the languages, we can make money with, and we don't really know what else is out there.
Let's talk about a hypothetical situation. If a stranger on the street asked you about six languages besides English, French, German, Italian, Korean, or Chinese, what would you say? At first, I didn't know what to say. So, I got interested and started reading a little bit. I realized that we could find thousands of languages if we just search with a click, if we want to be specific, what I read mentioned 6000 /7000 languages. It also mentions that since there are so many, many are on the verge of extinction. Yes, languages will disappear someday, like us. In fact, they are doing it with us.
As an Ecuadorian I can name languages besides Spanish, I know Kichwa and Shuar. Most of us Ecuadorians have probably heard these names. But just talking about our country, we can realize that there are many more. Some are even difficult to pronounce, and we are just talking about their names. So, with this blog, I hope we will learn together about those languages that are not so well known but can be interesting. So, let me know what you think in the comments.
I think it's fantastic that there is so much diversity around the world!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so fascinating how every country has something like this. It is what make us unique and different from others. And it is really important that we keep that as our own. :)
ReplyDelete